DPH/MPH Occupational Hygiene
The Wits School of Public Health, in association with the National Institute for Occupational Health (NIOH), offers a Diploma and Masters degree in Occupational Hygiene over two or three part time years with a new intake of students every second year.
The courses are for people who intend to work in occupational health services in the public or private sectors. Students who complete the course will have the theoretical knowledge and skills to practise as occupational hygienists. Applicants must have a four-year qualification from a university or technikon. Being registered with the South African Institute for Occupational Hygiene (SAIOH) at the minimum of the Occupational Hygiene Technologist level will be an added advantage.
The courses are part time and a combination of contact and distance learning is offered in three parts, each part taking one year.
Part I and II involve six modules of one week each with four contact and two distance learning modules.
Part III is a research report of a thorough investigation of a hazard or hazards in a workplace with recommendations for elimination or control of the hazard/s.
Students who complete Part I and Part II will be awarded a DPH: Occupational Hygiene.
Students who complete Part I, Part II and Part III will be awarded a MPH: Occupational Hygiene.
The Curriculum is as follows:
- Management in health and health services
- Introduction to health measurement
- Primary health care and social context of health
- Public health law and health systems integration
- Introduction to environmental and occupational health
- Fundamentals of occupational hygiene and hazardous substances
- Risk assessment and management
- Measurement of hazardous substances
- Ergonomics, manual work and physical agents
- Controlling occupational environments
- Occupational safety, physical hazards and biohazards
- Occupational hygiene field work and occupational health legislation
A research report on a thorough investigation of a hazard or hazards in a workplace with recommendations for elimination or control of the hazard or hazards